Friday, May 14, 2010

Slow Sailing

16 x 20 oil on stretched canvas
NFS

Another painting of the beautiful vessel Orion (see the previous post for more information on this boat and the Deep Green Wilderness ecology and policy education program). This is a much bigger painting than the other Orion painting and has seemingly innumerable shades of whites and gray. Recently someone suggested that I simplify the number of lines on boats to improve the painting, but the sailor in me struggled with this and in the end I chose to keep all the lines visible in the photo.

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen- This is amazing. It invites us to imagine waiting for the wind to return! What a beautiful boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh! I like this one. Josh and I were just talking about getting him up to speed on my parents boat so we can take it out together. This provides much needed inspiration to get on the water :) If only we didn't have to go through the locks . . .

    ReplyDelete